The Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Bombay Veterinary College was established in the year 1940, when an advanced diploma course was started.
Prior to 1940, medical officers deputed by the Government taught the subject of Physiology. The staff of the Department then consisted of one Professor and one Demonstrator. After the affiliation of the college to Bombay University and starting the degree course, the staff consisted of one Professor, one Assistant Professor and two Lecturers.
In the year 1966 the department got recognition for postgraduate studies from the Bombay University.
The Bombay Veterinary College was affiliated to Maharashtra Agricultural University in 1968 and thereafter to KonkanKrishiVidyapeeth in 1972.
In 2003, as per the Veterinary Council of India’s regulation, the Maharashtra Animal & Fishery Sciences University, Nagpur, created two separate departments, Department of Veterinary Physiology and Department of Veterinary Biochemistry including Clinical Biochemistry.
The departments impart training to undergraduate and graduate students. Academic programs for masters and doctoral degrees in both the disciplines of Veterinary Physiology and in Veterinary Biochemistry are offered by the departments.
Besides the academic programs, the departments’ conduct basic and applied research and technology transfer in Veterinary and Animal Sciences with emphasis on animal health and production. The department also offers diagnostic facilities of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnostics to the Teaching Veterinary Clinical Complex, Zoo, National Park, Dairy Farms, Field Veterinarians and Pet Owners.